What is Canadian Thanksgiving, Anyways?
“What’s this thing with Canadian Thanksgiving? Isn’t it an American holiday? Why don’t they celebrate it on the same day?”
We know – it might seem a bit confusing seeing as most know Thanksgiving as that late-autumn-football-filled-pre-black-friday-crazed-all-american-feast!
Truth is, Canadian Thanksgiving is its own special Canadian holiday! As it is quite similar to its southern neighbours’, it does fare well in its differences.
A little history…
Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. So technically, it’s a Canadian thing! But let’s not dwell on the details. Here are some of the reasons why Canadian Thanksgiving is the best Thanksgiving!
1.We celebrate on Monday, not Thursday
3 Day weekend? Yes, please!
2. Canadians like to celebrate Thanksgiving weekend in the outdoors to enjoy the beautiful harvest weather
Not to brag about Canadian scenery, but let’s face it. It’s breathtaking.
3. Believe it or not, Canada also has football (we’re not just about Hockey)! The TSN Thanksgiving Classic is an annual doubleheader between 4 CFL teams
And really, that’s enough.
4. Americans have “Black Friday”, we have something we like to call the Tuesday after thanksgiving.
A little less stressful, don’t you think?
5. A maple something usually finds its way into the menu
Seconds are always a must.
6. It’s way earlier in the year, so it doesn’t just feel like a pre-Chirstmas celebration
7. We don’t have a big backstory to the holiday… It’s simply a time to celebrate good harvest with good food and with loved ones!
It’s about being thankful for everything we have, and that’s about it!
So, what are you waiting for?
Come celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving with the Canadian community this coming Monday, October 12th!
M E M B E R S RMB 225
N O N – M E M B E R S RMB 275
K I D S ( u n d e r 1 2 ) RMB 135
*Member pricing for all CanCham Academy Members’ Alumni! (Find out if your school is a CanCham member by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org)
** Don’t forget CanCham Members get a FREE MOOSEHEAD at all Big Bamboo locations with CanCham’s Access Program!